Have you ever had a lousy check-up at the dentist, where you were told you have gingivitis? There are a ton of mouthwashes on the market that claim to do certain things. There are even some that say they are the best mouthwash for gingivitis. But are they full of hot air?
Gingivitis can be a pretty gross problem. Fortunately, there are things that can help.
So, what is the best mouthwash for gingivitis? Is that even a thing?
What Is Gingivitis?
Gingivitis is gum inflammation, caused by plaque build-up and bacteria. If it is not treated, it can cause significant damage.
Over time, not treating gingivitis can lead to periodontitis, also known as gum disease. The bacteria that builds up in the gums around the teeth causes break down of the tissue, and if not taken care of could result in tooth loss.
Why You Should Use the Best Mouthwash for Gingivitis
Most companies make their mouthwash with an antiseptic that can kill germs. Therapeutic mouthwash, as it is called, may have the following active ingredients:
Mouthwashes come in both prescription and over-the-counter. If you want a mouthwash that contains chlorhexidine, for example, you can only get it with a prescription.
Many studies have been done by the American Dental Association (ADA) to prove the strength and quality of different mouthwashes. The ADA has a list of mouthwashes that have a seal of acceptance.
With something as important as your smile, don't you think you should buy the very best mouthwash for gingivitis possible?
How often you should use mouthwash
Everyone is different, but it is best to try at least to use mouthwash as often as you brush your teeth. You could use it after every meal. If that is not possible, at least twice a day is best.
Is using mouthwash enough to fight gingivitis?
Now, using mouthwash alone cannot prevent gingivitis. But using it in conjunction with brushing and flossing can help.
Mouthwash is just that, a wash for after you scrub the nasty stuff off of your teeth and floss in between your teeth, to break free the leftover food.
Remember, we are not dentists, so the best thing you can do is talk to them about specific ways to help you combat gingivitis.
Your dentist may recommend you do some of the following things:
The Best Mouthwash for Gingivitis
One thing we want you to know right off the bat, just because a certain mouthwash is expensive doesn't mean it is the best mouthwash for gingivitis. So, don't think that you can buy the most expensive bottle on the market and be good.
If you see a mouthwash on the list below that you think you'd like to try, remember, you may want to call your dentist and get their opinion first. The mouthwashes below are in no particular order, check them out!
TheraBreath Healthy Gums Oral Rinse
- Money-Back Guaranteed: We're so confident in our TheraBreath products that they're all backed with 100 percent Satisfaction Money-Back Guarantee
- Periodontal Mouthwash: Regular use of TheraBreath Healthy Gums Orals Rinse may help address bleeding gums, gingivitis, plaque and tartar buildup, and bad breath. Dentist-formulated support for healthy gums
- Fresh Mouth, Healthy Gums: Attack bad breath at the source while providing extra support for gum health. Great for gum problems associated with pregnancy, menopause, and other medical conditions
- Premium Oral Care: Our solution-oriented line of toothpastes, mouthwashes, breath sprays, tonsil stone kits, and more can help your whole family get the oral hygiene support you need
- Professional-Grade Products: TheraBreath's line of dentist-formulated toothpastes, mouthwashes, and other products are designed to help address halitosis, cavity prevention, gum disease, and more (With added CPC)
TheraBreath claims that they make their mouthwash with clinically proven mild-mint ingredients, that help fight bacteria that cause bad breath, gum disease, and gingivitis.
The company started in 1994, founded by a dentist named Dr. Harold Katz, and he makes all his products in the USA. He is the founder of The California Breathe Clinics and is an expert in bad breath and taste disorders.
This mouthwash is gluten-free, certified vegan, certified kosher, and does not use any artificial flavors.
TheraBreath has a rating of 4.4 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon. Most customers love this mouthwash and say that it has worked really well. Others complained, saying the company recently changed the formula.
Listerine Cool Mint
- Kills germs that cause bad breath, plaque, and gingivitis
- Clinically shown to reduce more plaque than brushing and flossing alone
- Natural lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang
- Freshens breath
Now, this is a famous brand that pretty much everyone has heard of. The ADA approves this product as an antiseptic mouthwash. Listerine claims it is a favorite among dentists. This company has over 35 years of research and is the most researched brand in the world of mouthwash.
Using Listerine for an estimated five weeks, you should have completely eliminated bad breath and helped prevent gingivitis. According to DenistryiQ.com, Listerine has been proven to reduce the amount of bacteria in the bloodstreams of people who have gingivitis.
Listerine Cool Mint has a rating of 4.7 out of 5.0-stars on Amazon and has over 500 reviews. Most customers say that it gets all the grittiness that is on their teeth after brushing and flossing. Others say the taste is too strong and they didn't like the artificial taste.
The Natural Dentist Healthy Gums
- Support Healthy Gums: The Natural Dentist Healthy Gums Antigingivitis Rinse treats bleeding gums, kills germs and freshens breath; Made with 20 percent purified Aloe Vera, it's gentle on your gum tissue
- Natural and Effective: All of The Natural Dentist mouthwashes are made without alcohol, artificial preservatives, colors, flavors or sweeteners; Clinically proven to help bleeding gums and to kill germs
- Good Oral Hygiene is essential for a healthy-looking smile; Using our natural toothpastes, mouthwashes, plaque removers and more as part of your oral care routine supports clean teeth and healthy gums
- Oral Health Support: From mouthwash and anti-gingivitis rinse, to kid's toothpaste, plaque removers and more, our products help fight tartar, plaque, cavities, gingivitis, and other oral health issues
- The Natural Dentist: We believe in high-quality oral care without harsh chemicals, abrasives, and artificial fillers; Our toothpastes, mouthwashes and more are formulated to be naturally safe and effective
The Natural Dentist Healthy Gums is an alcohol-free, no preservatives, colors, flavors, or sweeteners mouthwash. The company makes this mouthwash with 20 percent aloe vera, and it helps reveal your teeth's natural whiteness.
This mouthwash is gentle on your gums and great for everyday use. The Natural Dentist is clinically proven to prevent bleeding gums. The company also claims that it fights gingivitis.
Customers with Amazon give this a product a rating of 4.5 out of 5.0 stars. The reviews for this product are fantastic; they love all the natural products and say this mouthwash does the trick. Some of the customers complained about the flavor, and they can not get the taste out of their mouths.
- Mouthwash kills bad breath germs
- Helps prevent cavities
- Cleans teeth and gums
- Strengthens enamel
- Freshens breath
Crest Pro-Health mouthwash claims to kill 99 percent of the bacteria and germs that cause gingivitis and bad breath. The mouthwash doesn't contain alcohol, which great because it won't cause the burning sensation in your mouth that some mouthwashes do.
You know what we are talking about, right? You put some mouthwash in your mouth, swish it around, and suddenly your mouth is on fire. Yeah, you won't have to worry about that.
Crest Pro-Health has a rating of 4.1 out of 5.0 stars on Amazon. Most customers loved this mouthwash, but some people complained about its other ingredients.
Solimo Multi Action Antiseptic Rinse
- Four 1-litter bottle of multi action antiseptic mouth rinse
- Helps control plaque that leads to gingivitis
- Alcohol Free
- Fresh mint flavor
- Use morning and night for better oral hygiene
Solimo is Amazon's brand. The Solimo Multi Action Antiseptic Rinse helps to fight the plaque that causes gingivitis and kills germs that could cause gum disease. If you are not happy with the product, Amazon will completely refund your money. Solimo comes in three flavors: original, mint, and blue mint.
Customers give this mouthwash an Amazon rating of 4.0 out of 5.0 stars. Customers love the size and price, but some could not handle the burning sensation they feel while the product in their mouth.
The Best Mouthwash for Gingivitis: Should You Buy It?
Speaking with your dentist and getting their recommendations is the best way to know what brand may be better for you. Sometimes it is a trial and error kind of thing, and you must try a few products to see which one works best for you.
We do suggest you use mouthwash daily not only because most dentists recommend mouthwash, but also because who wants to knock people out with their breath?
Please let us know what mouthwash you use in the comment section below.
Featured Image Source: Pexels.com
Last update on 2021-09-22 at 17:18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API